Engineering Research Building
Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Tel.: (+974) 44034294
Mobile: (+974) 33236107
hassaine (at) qu (dot) edu (dot) qa
I am a postdoctoral researcher at Qatar University.
- Ph.D. in Morphological Image Processing, Center of Mathematical Morphology, Mines ParisTech, France, 2009.
- “Master recherche” degree in Computer graphics and image processing, INSA de Lyon, France, 2006.
- “Ingénieur d'Etat” degree, Majoring in Computer Science, Université Aboubekr Belkaïd de Tlemcen, Algeria, 2005.
- Image processing and mathematical morphology,
- Document image processing, compression of manuscript images, signature verification, writer identification, lines and words segmentation, feature extraction and classification,
- Data mining and natural language processing.
Awards and honors
- Winning Dutch offline signature verification system in the 2011 Signature Verification Competition for On- and Offline Skilled Forgeries (announced in ICDAR 2011),
- Winning writer identification system in the Music Scores: Writer Identification and Staff Removal (announced in ICDAR 2011),
- Winning handwriting segmentation system in the 2010 Handwriting Segmentation Contest (announced in ICFHR 2010),
- Winning offline-signature verification system in the 2009 International Signature Verification Competition SigComp09 (announced in ICDAR 2009),
- Top-ranked student in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences at the University of Tlemcen in 2005,
- Top-ranked student in the first year common-core syllabus at the University of Tlemcen in 2000.
- B. Besserer, E. Decencière and A. Hassaïne, Method of and device for reproduction of an audio signal and/or an audio track, European Patent Application, Publication No. EP 2341390 A1 published on 6 July 2011.
- S. Al-Maadeed, A. Hassaine, A. Bouridane, M. Tahir, Novel Geometric Features for Off-line Writer Identification, to appear in Pattern Analysis and Applications
- S. Al-Maadeed, A. Hassaine, Automatic prediction of age, gender, and nationality in offline handwriting, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing 2014 (1), 1-10.
- T. D. Kitching, J. Rhodes, C. Heymans, R. Massey, Q. Liu, M. Cobzarenco, B. L. Cragin, A. Hassaïne, D. Kirkby, E. Jin Lok, D. Margala, J. Moser, M. O'Leary, A. M. Pires and S. Yurgenson, Image Analysis for Cosmology: Shape Measurement Challenge Review & Results from the Mapping Dark Matter Challenge, Arxiv preprint arXiv:1204.4096, 2012. (to appear in Astronomy & Computing).
- A. Hassaïne, E. Decencière and B. Besserer, Efficient restoration of variable area soundtracks, Image Analysis & Stereology. June 2009.
- J. Taquet, B. Besserer, A. Hassaïne and E. Decencière, Detection and correction of under/overexposed optical soundtracks by coupling image and audio signal processing, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2008.
- A. Hassaine, S. Elloumi, F. Ferjani and A. Jaoua, Hyper Rectangular Trend Analysis, Application to Islamic Rulings (Fatwas), in the 11th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications AICCSA'2014, Doha, Qatar, November 2014
- S. Al-Ma'adeed, F. Ferjani, S. Elloumi, A. Hassaine and A. Jaoua, Automatic handedness detection from off-line handwriting, in GCC Conference and Exhibition (GCC), 2013 7th IEEE
- A. Hassaine, S. Al-Ma'adeed, J. Alja'am and A. Jaoua, ICDAR 2013 Competition on Gender Prediction from Handwriting, in 12th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Washington DC, USA. August 2013.
- A. Hassaine, S. Al-Ma'adeed and A. Bouridane, ICDAR 2013 Competition on Handwriting Stroke Recovery from Offline Data, in 12th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Washington DC, USA. August 2013.
- S. Al-Maadeed, W. Ayouby, A. Hassaïne, A. Al-Mejali and A. Al-Yazeedi, Arabic Signature Verification Datasets, The International Arab Conference on Information Technology, 2012.
- Y. Elmir, S. Al Maadeed, A. Amira and A. Hassaïne, A Multi-modal Face and Signature Biometric Authentication System Using a Max-of-Scores Based Fusion Neural Information Processing, 19th International Conference on, 2012.
- A. Hassaïne and S Al Maadeed, An Online Signature Verification System for Forgery and Disguise Detection, Neural Information Processing, 19th International Conference on, 2012.
- A. Hassaïne, S. Al Maadeed and A. Bouridane, A Set of Geometrical Features for Writer Identification, Neural Information Processing, 19th International Conference on, 2012.
- S. Al-Maadeed, W. Ayouby, A. Hassaïne, J. Alja'am, QUWI: An Arabic and English Handwriting Dataset for Offline Writer Identification, Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, 13th International Conference on, p. 742-747, 2012.
- A. Hassaïne and S. Al Maadeed, ICFHR2012 Competition on Writer Identification - Challenge 2: Arabic Scripts, Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition, 13th International Conference on, p. 831-836, 2012.
- A. Hassaïne, S. Al-Ma'adeed, J. Alja'am, A. Jaoua and A. Bouridane, The ICDAR2011 Arabic Writer Identification Contest, in 11th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Beijing, China. September 2011.
- A. Hassaïne, E. Decencière, B. Besserer, N. Ricordel and C. Comte, Restoration of optical soundtracks in motion picture films by digital image processing, in Joint Technical Sumposium, Digital Challenges and Digital Opportunities in Audiovisual Archiving, Oslo, Norway, May 2010.
- A. Hassaïne, E. Decencière and B. Besserer, Restoration of variable density film soundtracks, in 17th European Signal Processing Conference, Glasgow, UK. August 2009.
- B. Besserer, A. Hassaïne and E. Decencière, Restoration of Under/Overexposed Optical Soundtracks, Archiving 2008, Bern, Switzerland, 2008.
- E. Brun, A. Hassaïne, B. Besserer and E. Decencière, Restoration of variable area soundtracks, in 2007 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- A. Hassaine and A. Jaoua, Automatic category detection of Islamic content on the Internet using Hyper Concept keyword extraction and Random forest classification, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference Proceedings: Vol. 2014.
- M. Al-saffar, A. Jaoua, A. Hassaine, S. Elloumi, A New Structural View Of The Holy Book Based On Specific Words: Towards Unique Chapters (surat) And Sentences (ayat) Characterization In The Quran, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference Proceedings: Vol. 2014.
- J. Al-otaibi, S. Elloumi, A. Hassaine, A. Jaoua, Inconsistencies Detection In Islamic Texts Of Law Interpretations [" fatawas"], Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference Proceedings: Vol. 2014.
- A. Hassaine and S. Al Maadeed, A robust method for line and word segmentation in handwritten text, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Conference Proceedings: Vol. 2013.
- A. Hassaine, Automated essay scoring using structural and grammatical features, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum Proceedings: Vol. 2012.
- A. Hassaine and S. Al Maadeed, Feature-based method for offline writer identification, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum Proceedings: Vol. 2012.
- A. Hassaine and S. Al Maadeed, Detecting Forgeries and Disguised Signatures in Online Signature Verification, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum Proceedings: Vol. 2012.
- Y. Elmir, S. Al Maadeed, A. Amira and A. Hassaine, Multi-modal biometric authentication system using face and online signature fusion, Qatar Foundation Annual Research Forum Proceedings: Vol. 2012.
- A. Hassaine, V. Eglin and S. Bres, Une methode de compression sans perte pour les images de documents basee sur la separation en couches (A lossless compression method for document images based on layers separation), CORESA 2007. Montpellier, France.
- A. Hassaïne, Restauration des Pistes Sonores Optiques Cinématographiques : Approche par Traitement d'Images, PhD thesis, Centre de Morphologie Mathématique, Mines Paris-Tech, December 2009.
- A. Hassaine, Codage De Graphemes Et Compression Sans Perte D'images De Manuscrits Anciens, Master thesis, LIRIS, INSA de Lyon, July 2006.
- From Soundtracks and Signatures to Stars and Galaxies: Ali Hassaïne and Eu Jin Lok on finishing third on the Mapping Dark Matter Challenge.
- How a Team of Enthusiasts Are Mapping Dark Matter: Earthly skills like handwritten signature verification turn out to be useful on a cosmological scale as well.
- Mapping The Universe Through Collective Brainpower.
- You can download my C.V. here.